Thursday, September 9, 2010

Talk is cheap...

So, as we're sitting, side by side, in silence, he says to me, "It's good that you're still tight."  With a snicker and eye roll, I respond, "Whatever.  As soon as I leave you, I'm going to take a spinning class..."  Without hesitation, he clamps his hand over my mouth and whispers in my ear, "Don't ever try to convince me that what I see isn't real.  Don't try to show me all of the things that you think are bad about yourself.  Let me tell you what I see.  Now, if you decide you want to do something, do it.  But, do not talk about all of the plans you have for things you are going to do.  That makes you sound like all of the other women out there.  And you are not those women.  You are so above that.  Just do what you are going to do.  Be who you are."
One of my greatest personal challenges is just doing what I say I'm going to do.  I do lots of things well.  Excellence is a different story.  My plans are well thought out, detailed, and always articulated with great fanfare.  Often times, however, they are abandoned within days of their debut.  I could give a ton of excuses for the reasons why.  Instead, I will pose a question:  What is necessary, internally and externally, for the successful achievement of one's goals?
There were other questions prompted by this conversation with an old friend I trust to be clear and honest and real with me.  As I recall this afternoon's exchange (which led to other much more riveting topics of conversation), I wonder: Why am I so quick to discuss my faults and downplay my skills?  How do I grow in the confidence and maturity required to simply accept a compliment with a thank you?

No comments:

Post a Comment